Friday, August 29, 2008

*%$# Fashion!

When you read the title of this blog, say it like it's a curse word because that's how I'm beginning to feel about being the mom of a Girly Girl. Those of you who know me well (and maybe acquaintances, too) know that I would never be referred to as a Girly Girl. Ever. Not in my childhood, adolescence, twenty-somethings, and definitely not in this post-40 phase of my life. I've never really liked dresses or make up or accessories and have never had a clue about what to do with my hair. I've had to force myself to try to be more feminine at various times in my life, but it definitely doesn't come naturally.

So, WHERE did Josie come from?

Manicures & Pedicures By Hannah


She's all about Girly Things: pink, lace, glitter, dresses, skirts, ballerinas and dress up (not to mention her obsession lately with 'loving boys' and talk of marriage). Fortunately, I've been able to expose her to the less glamorous side of life: camping, bug catching, snake watching, dirt digging, worm holding, sand castle building, "peeing in the grass", (and sometimes other things happen in the grass, too), baseball, and hiking BUT if she had her way, she'd choose Glamour all the way.


Her new kindergarten classmates have already made these observations and shared them with me when I volunteered in the classroom:

"Why does Josie always wear skirts? Doesn't she have any shorts?"
"Josie has pretty nails! Why don't you have pretty nails?"
"Josie's favorite color is pink."
"Ohhhh....that's glittery! Josie will like that!"

She picked this flower 'thing' in her hair from the kindergarten Treasure Box this week.

Perhaps Josie's spirit and personality have just developed due to the laws of physics, or maybe there's some Girl Gene that was passed to her through her dad but I marvel at the person she just IS. She's sweet, loving, easy going & compassionate but when it comes to her clothing she is definitely strong willed and very determined. I used to be one of those single & childless teachers that thought to myself, "Geez, I can't believe these parents allow their children to negotiate about clothing." Now that I have Josie, I get it. Josie has mostly hand-me-down clothing (thanks to our generous friends) but she is so determined to wear pinks, purples, & sparkles and dresses & skirts that her wardrobe quickly shrivels to a handful of outfits that she'll tolerate. At five, she doesn't get to choose much about her world but at this point, I figure she's entitled to choose her clothing, as long as it's appropriate for her age and the weather. So basically, it's a battle I choose not to fight.

She's recently learned a new word (and believe me, it's NOT from my vocabulary!): Fashion. She uses it daily in sentences such as,
"I like that pink ribbon. It will look fashion in my hair."
"Look at this sparkly headband. Isn't it so fashion, Mom?"
"Ooooh, if I had those pretty gold shoes, I'd really be fashion."

I hate to break it to her, though she probably already knows the truth in her heart, but her mom does not know "Fashion." And at this stage in my life, I doubt that'll change.

When I registered her for kindergarten at my school last spring, the 6 sweet, smart, lively kindergarten teachers wanted me to choose who would 'get' Josie in their class. I love all of them and did not want to choose, but my final draw was, "The one who is willing to do her hair each morning is the teacher I will select." Lucky for Josie, she has a kind, intelligent, magical AND feminine teacher, Mrs. Rodgers, as a role model. I'm confident that she's learning far more than just 'fashion' with the influence of such a wonderful person.

I'll soon be taking applications for anyone who is willing to move in and coordinate Josie's outfits and hairstyles. This 'Loving Boys' and Fashion stuff is really scaring me.

3 comments:

Kathee said...

Josie definitely is a girly girl. Sounds like she'll make all the decisions about what's "fashion" and what isn't. And you'll keep exposing her to many different experiences and great values. She's lucky to have you as a mom!

Anonymous said...

I'm laughing, as usual--so helpful, aren't I? Talk to my sister--Alexa was that way and actually used to talk to our Mom to find out how to dress and behave appropriately...

Diane Howell said...

Lori, I sat and read your entire blog this evening and it brought tears to my eyes. Not only is Josie so fortunate to have you for a MOM, but I feel blessed to know you as a friend. You bring so much to every relationship you have. Thanks for sharing!