Monday, December 15, 2008

Dad...does THIS entice you to move here?

A brief review:

Josie and I planted our Winter Garden seeds on September 1:




Tonight as I was preparing our dinner of grilled chicken, fresh cranberries & red skinned potatoes Josie informed me that she really wanted a salad with her dinner. We both love our greens so I normally keep a bag of lettuce on hand to easily prepare a quick salad. I grabbed the bag that I knew was in our crisper but could quickly see that it had been in our refrigerator a bit too long. I tossed it in the green bin and told Josie we'd have to do without a salad tonight. The disappointment on her face reminded me that our lettuce had been looking tasty in the garden so I ran outside in the rare Fresno hail storm and cut our first lettuce.


Luckily, our (store bought) cucumbers & tomatoes were still fresh and Josie was happy to help me wash the lettuce and tear it for our salad. (Next year I hope to grow some winter tomatoes & cucumbers, as I've heard it's possible in Fresno!)


Unfortunately, Josie's taste buds have grown accustomed to store bought lettuce so the flavors from our fresh, crunchy romaine & radicchio lettuces were a little much for her. She made a disgusting face and spit it into her napkin while declaring, "This lettuce is too spicy!"




Hopefully we'll be able to re-train her taste buds soon so that she can enjoy our winter garden as much as the rest of us!

Fresh lettuce from our backyard garden in December?! Sure beats the cold temps in the teens that you've been 'enjoying', don't you think, Dad?

2 comments:

Chuck said...

Yes, it looked great, and with 25 degrees here tonight, there won't be any lettuce from my garden. How many "crops" do you get there during the year? Thanks for the pictures.
If u can would you see that my friends on facebook get my new e-mail address? csevert@ymail.com I will check out gmail also, but RR.com is gone completely.
Love Dad and Grandpa

Anonymous said...

Hm...in order to leave Lori's this a.m. after my traditional Monday overnight I had to scrape ice off my windshield...

Yes, Josie cannot become a Californian who for some inexplicable totally weird reason prefers iceberg lettuce! The salad last night was superb!