Saturday, January 3, 2009

New Year Goals

Friends have been calling and checking in for the holidays and several have asked me if I have any New Year's Resolutions. That's almost the same as expecting me to give something up for Lent. I was raised Catholic and have spent the last couple of decades trying to decide what I believe about spirituality and religious affiliations, and consider myself to be a Recovering Catholic. (I don't think we ever really 'recover', though. Once a person is raised with guilt, I think it becomes part of the genetic make-up and can't be surgically removed.)So, in order to try to eliminate the need to feel any more guilt than I already have ingrained in my being, I don't have any New Year's Resolutions & I won't be giving anything up for Lent.

However, old habits die hard & I do seem to think about goal-setting. I definitely want to improve some of my behaviors over the next year.




Here are my Top Ten Goals for 2009:


10. Clean up the 'office' at my house...it's a disaster and stresses me out just looking at the stuff piled in here.

9. Brush my dogs reularly to help our house feel less furry.

8. Nail a full time teaching position to help my financial situation.

7. Pay off the credit cards and create a savings account for emergencies.

6. Find a comfortable pair of jeans.

5. Paint the molding.

4. Improve my vegetable gardening skills & have enough produce to share generously.

3. Schedule that nagging repeat colonoscopy & quit whining about it.

2. Tell my family and friends how much I appreciate them & need them.

1. Continue to play games, read books, and make Josie my priority every day.

3 comments:

Kathee said...

Every year, instead of making a list of resolutions, my mom reflects and makes a list of all the things she has accomplished during the year. I love that practice . . . I don't think I'll ever create another list of resolutions.

Lori said...

I LOVE that idea...now I'll have to post again with my 2008 accomplishments. Not sure what that list will look like, though. Your mom is very wise...runs in the genes, I guess.

Chelsey said...

I love your list! I think I need to try that too. You know what seems the most difficult on your list? Finding comfortable jeans! Ugh! That may be an unattainable goal for me!