Wednesday, October 15, 2008

"Kinder" Wisdom

I'm realizing how quickly Josie is making connections to this new world of Kindergarten. She LOVES school and wishes she could erase Saturday & Sunday from the calendar so that she could spend all of her days with her beloved Mrs. Rodgers & friends. She is having the PERFECT first school experience, thanks to an amazing teacher. She's like a sponge soaking up all of the experiences and using the knowledge to help her world make sense.

Here are some samples of this week's Wisdom:

She woke up in the middle of the night Monday and told me that her throat had spider webs in it. When I offered a drink of water she quickly replied, "No, Mommy, it will just get stuck on those spider webs anyway. Maybe if I cough I can make them come out of my throat?"

On the way to school on Tuesday we were talking about eating healthy snacks and getting enough exercise to keep our bodies healthy. I told her I want to start walking more to help me lose weight and feel stronger. She offered this advice, "Yeah, I think if you would just eat some really teeny tiny food it would just make your stomach get smaller and smaller and it will shrink away." When I asked what kind of 'smaller food' she'd suggest she wrinkled her brow, pursed her lips, and looked out the window thoughtfully for a few minutes.

She finally answered, "Maybe you could eat a pea for dinner."

Josie obviously loves being a helper in the classroom. This week she has the stately job of
Chair Stacker. She gets to pick two helpers each day to assist with stacking the kindergarten chairs. Each morning on the way to school we've had to discuss WHO she will pick as her helpers for the day. This morning she realized that she will not be able to pick all of her classmates by the end of the week. This was pretty troubling for such a kind-hearted princess. Finally she said, "It will be okay. I like all of the kids in my class and they know it even if I can't let them all be my helpers."

We now have "jobs" at our house, too:

  • Light Monitor~turns on/off the Halloween lights
  • Mommy Helper~delivers important things to the mailbox or neighbors
  • Weather Person~runs outside to see if we need jackets
  • Dog Feeder~dumps dog food in bowls for Bentley & Casey
  • Mommy Snuggler~cuddles her mom and helps her turn the pages of the bedtime books

I wonder how long before she realizes that these jobs won't be rotating?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Your writing makes me feel so warm and alive. And to think, I get to share in all this each week! I am so blessed. Love you both.